Saturday, July 10, 2010

Scottish Rite Dormitory

You should always keep your eyes on the look out for the mysterious and antique. One such morning after I went to go assist my sister I stumbled upon a most wonderful find that was larger then life and right in front of me. It was in fact, the Scottish Rite Dormitory, where my sister has lived her first, second and third semester in college at the University of Texas at Austin.

I once had dreams of living in such a splendid abode but alas it was not to be. Nonetheless, I've had the privilege of visiting many times since I went to school at UT and always found it regal and well-preserved. But only recently was I there with a Victorian lover's eye which allowed me to fully appreciate it's rich furnishings and decor.

Opening it's doors in 1922, the building was a gift from the Scottish Rite Masons to house bright young women attending the University. I won't bore you with a history lesson but I did want to post some beautiful shots of a few furnishings that I would be more then happy to take off of SRD's hands if they ever wanted to redecorate.



You remember those perfect pillows I've been scouring the world for? Well apparently they're already owned by SRD and taking up space on these plush wedge couch seats.



And I'll admit, I was two seconds away from asking the girl at the front desk where they found these treasures. Then I came back to my senses and realized she would have no idea and not to bother her with such ridiculous questions.



Also I couldn't resist taking a shot of the SRD resident's mailboxes. I mean how cool are these? They had a little combination and everything. So steampunk. I'm in love. Way cooler then my sad metal square of a mail box I open with a boring key. I'd live in the dorm just for these!



Anyway, those were just the few shots I took to post. I didn't want to look like a tourist wandering through my sister's dorm! Thanks SRD for keeping the Victorian look alive and well.

2 comments:

  1. just as a side note, these mailboxes have cool combinations like 2 1/2, 5 so that you have to hit the "1/2" mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! That makes it all the more cooler!

    ReplyDelete