Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Atlantis Box


For a long time I kept trying to make all my home decorations myself. I admit, I'm still attached to some of them. But I had one piece in particular that, although it began with good intentions, it should never have been put on display.

I had an old Pepperidge Farm Pirouette cookie can that I'd stuck inspirational words all over in a sort of collage. Like I said, good idea, bad execution. So I decided it needed to go and be replaced by something much cooler. I found this priceless artifact as I was scuba diving off the coast of Greece hunting the Mediterranean for remains of the lost city of Atlantis...Ha! No I'm just kidding. I found it at Marshalls Clothing Store. But it looks like I could have dug it up out of the sand right?




Now as cool as the box is, in retrospect, it's not the most convenient container for pens, pencils and the like. For one thing the top is kind of heavy. With the open cookie can I was able to pull a pen out at will but with this new box I kind of have to commit to whatever writing implement I decide I need. Because once that top goes down it's going to be an effort to lift it again.

But I decided that I like it nonetheless. And worse case scenario I just use it for something else later. And as I've mentioned before, the world moves too fast. The opening and closing of the box not only makes me slow down but makes me consider carefully the pen, pencil or high lighter I will be using for the next few minutes. Yep, take that modern 21st century. I'm making it hard on myself, and going old school! ;D

Rene's Recommendation: Life of Pi by by Yann Martel

Every time someone asks me to recommend a book, this is the one that comes to mind. Not sure why, it just stuck out as a really fantastic book. It's funny because it's a fiction story and half way through I kept trying to figure it out if it really happened. You know an author did it right when they can almost convince you a piece of fiction is real.

Logline: While traveling to America via a freighter, a sixteen year old Indian boy becomes shipwrecked in the Pacific. Left to fend for himself on a twenty six foot life raft with a hyena, an orangutan, a zebra and a Bengal tiger, Pi survives for a year through faith and strength.

The character's are magnetic. The imagery is stunning. It feels like real life and a fairy tale all wrapped up in one. Anyway, if you're in the book store and hankering for a well written adventure I wouldn't pass this one up.

1 comment:

  1. The box taunting made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete