Friday, May 7, 2010

What Dreams May Come

It is with much sighing and faraway looks that I write this post. Alas I have found the absolute, most perfect centerpiece for my table. Here it is:



What do you call perfect you ask? You call it: a Bronze Finish Hurricane Branch Candle Holder. That's what.

It's a wonderful combination of steampunk and Victorian. Delicate, stately. A candle base crafted after nature, meets a man made world that contains the power of flame. And why do I accompany this post with so much sighing and moaning? Because this beautiful masterpiece is $400!! $400. The lowest I've been able to find it for is $350. Seriously though. I simply can't justify buying a $400 centerpiece for my table. Yes, I would love it and keep it forever but I just can't! There's so many other practical things I could buy for that amount of money. The problem is I don't want to spend money on any other center pieces that are just mediocre. Although I have found a few that might would make good substitutes, like this one:

$95

or, my second favorite, after the hurricane lamp:



$50 (on sale from $80)

Although, it's obvious that the two substitutes combined make up the the form of the hurricane lamp.

Gah! Why are my tastes so expensive? Why can't I just be happy with a stupid vase or something. But that is not the way God made me so I will not force myself to be someone who settles for anything less then what I value.

And actually, now that I'm looking at that vine candle holder I like it an awful lot and it's not $400. How about this? I will buy my beautiful brass hurricane lantern when I sell my first book. It will be something to look forward to. But in the mean time, if I get the vine candle holder in the near future I will still have something lovely to look at on my table that I will enjoy for years to come. Sometimes it's worth it not to torture yourself. :)

Rene's Recommendation: Who's On First

If you've never heard the Abbott and Costello shtick Who's On First you are missing out. I'm sure many people have but I'm recommending it because it's sooooo funny. I'm not usually into old radio shows. I mean I like them, but I don't seek them out or anything. But I'm posting a link to the Who's On First script and audio because it's really funny and I think it will make you laugh even if you've heard it before.

Audio: http://www.phoenix5.org/humor/WhosOnFirstAudio.mp3
Script: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml

1 comment:

  1. Laugh really really loud about the centerpiece dilema! I hope you sell your book so you can get the first one! You're biggest fan!!!!!

    ReplyDelete