Saturday, May 15, 2010

I'm Baaack!

Hello friendly blog readers. I missed you while I was away. But I am back and better then ever! (Well sort of...) But while I was away I got a new toy to play with that I will henceforth be incorporating into Treehouse of Wonders. A new digital camera!

Yep, I finally broke down and bought one. It's my first one so I'm kind of a digital camera virgin. I don't know why I was so adamant about not letting go of my old camera that uses real film which I almost never used. I guess I thought the pictures wouldn't be as good, but I tell you what, they have gone and built some fancy picture snapping doodads these days. I am not disappointed. I don't think there's anything wrong with using new technology to appreciate old technology. Also I won't have to worry quite so much about infringement rights when I post a picture I took myself. Yay for avoiding lawsuits!

Anywho, today I wanted to talk about my rug buying adventures. I had decided early on that square rugs were not what I wanted to adorn my tree house with. So my focus was entirely on round rugs.

The first rug I bought was from Overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/). Now Overstock has some pretty cool stuff and a lot of it too I might add. And I can't tell you how long I took to pick out this rug. Comparing prices, checking with a tape measure to see if it would fit, reading reviews, wondering what people meant by 'the colors being more muted than they had seen on the computer', trying to decide if I really wanted to look at a rug with roses or swirlies or whatever for the next some odd years...and so on and so forth. Rug craziness.

At last I found this rug: the Hand-tufted Classic Juliette Ivory/Green Wool Rug (3'6)



It wasn't too expensive. I really liked the design and it had gotten some good reviews. But when it was delivered, to my dismay, I discovered that it was too small for my living room in spite of the careful measurements I had taken. Where was the sign-WARNING: RUGS IN PICTURES ARE SMALLER THEN THEY APPEAR.

Ok, yes, this should have been obvious. But hey, I was new at this whole rug buying thing. I'd only ever bought one other rug in my life and that had been at Wal-Mart for pete's sake.

So what was I do to? I decided to move the Juliet rug into my bedroom and what do you know? It fit like a glove. It gave the room a comfy full feel that I quite liked. So that was good but that still left my living room with a square rug from Wal-Mart that, although nice, was not going with my Victorian/Steampunk decorating motif.

Now I came by my second rug with no less fanfare. I had spotted a large, rug tent sale that was going on in a shopping center not five minutes from my apartment. I stopped by to check the place out. They did have some very nice rugs but I thought I could get a better deal on Overstock. So back to Overstock I went. But I couldn't find a five foot round rug that I liked all that much. And so I made the mistake of buying a rug that was descent. Let me make this clear. DON'T DO THIS! Don't settle for a piece of home decor that is mediocre. You will be disappointed as was I. This was the rug I picked out: the Lyndhurst Tabriz Cream/Red Rug (5')



No, not a bad rug. Good price for it's size but I hated the color. It was too yellow and the design reminded me of weeds. Yep, it was going back. And I want to let you in on something. Overstock didn't charge me shipping for the rugs I bought which is awesome however they did deduct the return shipping amount when I sent the second rug back. Just letting anyone know who is thinking of buying a rug from them. Also, do not cut the plastic bag the rug came in with scissors because later you will read the warning that said to just open it from the top so if you don't like it you can ship it back in the same bag. Overstock will not ship you another bag.

But I want to send a shout out to you awesome UPS guys who somehow fixed that mistake buy rolling it up as much as you could and wrapping a random piece of plastic and tape around the part we couldn't stick in the bag. God bless the UPS.

Ok, so once I had sent that hideous rug back to the depths of hell where it belonged (no I'm just kidding it was very nice) I went back to the tent rug sale and found this very nice round rug I was on the fence about: a red, ivory and heather grey Kashmir rug (5'3)



And the super sweet rug merchants there actually let me take it home before I bought it just to test it out. Seriously, this is the nicest, (though probably not the smartest of things) they could have done. They just asked for my phone number and address as a safe guard. Maybe they took a pic of my licence plate as I drove away or something. But once I got it home I realized I loved it and went ahead and drove back to pay for it. I also want to add that I haggled for it. Yes, I did. Brought the price down $35 bucks! And for the cost, it's a super awesome rug. Fantastic tight weave. Gorgeous colors, feels like your walking on melted butter. Definitely worth every penny I paid for it (and worth the ones I didn't pay for it too ;). So now I am happy with my two classic style rugs. Yes, they don't make a lot of practical sense because I have carpet but I love rugs and I don't care who knows it!

Rene's Recommendation: Whole Food's Spicy Mixed Nut Bark

Ok, I know I've been posting a lot of food items but here's the truth. Ever since I posted that recommendation on marzipan I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. So I had to go to Whole Foods today to pick up some face moisturizer and went ahead and bought some marzipan and my other favorite candy at Whole Foods, spicy mixed nut bark. I'm usually not into dark chocolate but this stuff is different. It's dark chocolate with jalapeno and habanero pepper seeds. You get the super sweet with a bit of spicy. Reminds me of that movie Chocolat. So if you're at Whole Foods and get a hankering for something delicious, I'd try out this smokin' confectionery.

This post is dedicated to Phoenix the goldfish. Rest in peace Phoenix. Your vivacious love for fish food and life will be sorely and deeply missed. God bless your little goldfish heart.

1 comment:

  1. Love the rug. So glad to see a pic of it!

    ReplyDelete